PITUITARY GLAND LOCATION
PITUITARY GLAND LOBES
The pituitary gland consists of two distinct lobes: the anterior lobe and the posterior lobe.
- The anterior lobe is located inside the pituitary gland. The anterior lobe of the pituitary gland regulates stress, growth, lactation, and reproduction.
- The posterior lobe is the outside portion of the pituitary gland. The posterior lobe of the pituitary gland regulates kidney function and also plays a role in lactation.
The posterior lobe connects to the hypothalamus through a small tube called the pituitary stalk.
PITUITARY GLAND HORMONES
- Prolactin - Prolactin stimulates breast milk production after childbirth.
- Growth hormone (GH) - Growth Hormone stimulates growth in childhood and is important to maintain a healthy body composition.
- Adrenocorticotropin (ACTH) - ACTH stimulates the production of cortisol by the adrenal glands. The adrenal glands are kidney sized glands that rest on top of the kidneys. Cortisol is vital to our survival. Cortisol allows the body to maintain blood pressure, blood glucose levels, and our body releases higher amounts of cortisol when the body is under stress of injury or sickness.
- Thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH) - TSH stimulates the thyroid gland to produce thyroid hormones, which regulate the body's metabolism, energy balance, growth, and nervous system activity.
- Luteinizing hormone (LH) - LH stimulates testosterone production in men and stimulates the egg release in women.
- Follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH) - FSH aids sperm production in men and stimulates the ovaries to produce estrogen and develop eggs in women.
- Antidiuretic hormone (ADH) - ADH, also called vasopressin. Vasopressin regulates water balance in the body.
- Oxytocin – Oxytocin causes milk production in women after childbirth. Oxytocin is also thought to help labor to progress. Low Oxytocin levels may make a person feel withdrawn.
Please, Like, HypoGal on Facebook.
If you would like to receive HypoGal's updates and an 11 page Government Resource Guide then please submit your email address at the bottom of this page ↓