ENDOCRINE DISEASE LIST
WHAT CAUSES ENDOCRINE DISEASES?
Endocrine diseases occur when the body's endocrine feedback system produces too much or too little of a particular hormone.
The endocrine feedback system enables the body to signal gland or glands the correct amount of hormone needed.
- if the endocrine feedback does not work properly, then Endocrine disease may occur
- increases or decreases of endocrine hormone levels can cause endocrine disease
- genetic disorder
- injury to an endocrine gland, eg. head injury
A majority of endocrine tumors and nodules are noncancerous.
However, a tumor or nodule on the gland may cause interference with endocrine hormones.
The Endocrine System Helps to Regulate:
- fluid balance
- menstrual cycle (female)
- testes (male)
- weight control
LIST OF ENDOCRINE DISEASES
There are numerous types of endocrine diseases.
Diabetes is the most common endocrine disorder diagnosed in the U.S.
Other endocrine disorders include:
The adrenal gland releases too little of the hormone cortisol and sometimes, aldosterone.
ADRENAL INSUFFICIENCY SYMPTOMS
Symptoms of Adrenal Insufficiency include:
- stomach upset
- skin changes
Addison's Disease is a type of Adrenal Insufficiency.
People who have Adrenal Insufficiency are usually:
- crave salt before being diagnosed
- experience fatigue
The pituitary gland signals the adrenal glands to overproduce hormones.
The additional signals cause the adrenal glands to release of too much cortisol and other essential hormones.
Cushing's Syndrome is a rare disease that may occur in people, particularly children, who take high doses of corticosteroid medications.
CUSHING SYNDROME SYMPTOMS INCLUDE:
- weight gain, especially around the mid-section
- buffalo hump neck
If the pituitary gland produces too much Growth Hormone, a child's bones and body may grow abnormally fast.
- changes in physical appearance, especially facial structure
- thickening of soft tissues such as skin, tongue, and muscles
- the enlarged tongue may cause apnea
- carpal tunnel syndrome caused by an overgrowth of muscles cause nerve pain
- enlargement of organs such as the heart
- high levels of fats such as triglycerides in the blood
GROWTH HORMONE INSUFFICIENCY
The Pituitary Gland does not release Growth Hormone into the body.
GROWTH HORMONE INSUFFICIENCY SYMPTOMS MAY INCLUDE:
- low energy levels
- the body has a difficult time maintaining muscle mass
- have a difficult time with their social well-being
Children that have low Growth Hormone may stop growing and not reach their body's intended height.
Hyperthyroidism occurs when the thyroid gland produces too much thyroid hormone.
- weight loss
- fast heart rate
The most common cause of an overactive thyroid is an autoimmune disorder named Grave's disease.
Hypothyroidism occurs when the thyroid gland does not produce enough thyroid hormone.
HYPOTHYROIDISM SYMPTOMS MAY INCLUDE ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING:
- body feels cold
- weight gain
- a neck gortler
- brittle nails
- dry skin
You may also find the health reference, Endocrine Photos useful.
Please, Like, HypoGal on Facebook.