WHAT IS GROWTH HORMONE?
Growth hormone (GH) is a peptide hormone that stimulates growth, cell reproduction, and the regeneration of cells in humans and animals.
Growth Hormone is an amino acid, single-chain polypeptide that is stored, synthesized and secreted by Somatotropic cells within the pituitary gland.
Growth Hormone (GH) is also known as Somatotropin or as Human Growth Hormone (HGH).
Growth Hormone is usually the first hormone to be depleted in hypopituitarism.
GROWTH HORMONE BENEFITS
Stimulates growth in children and adolescents
Helps to regulate body composition
Promotes muscle and bone growth
Stabilizes sugar and fat metabolism
Enhances social well-being
If the Pituitary Gland does not produce enough Growth Hormone (HGH) then Growth Hormone deficiency occurs.
GROWTH HORMONE DEFICIENCY
Growth Hormone deficiency is a chronic condition that some people are born with.
Whereas, other individual with Growth Hormone-deficiency occurs from a medical condition or traumatic brain injury.
Children who are Growth Hormone deficiency will be much shorter and usually look younger than their peer group.
Growth Hormone deficient children mature late, puberty may come late or may not come at all.
GROWTH HORMONE IN ADULTS
GROWTH HORMONE DEFICIENCY SYMPTOMS IN ADULTS
Adults who have Growth Hormone deficiency may experience a combination of the symptoms listed below;
- Baldness (men) (Thinning/ Receding hairline women)
- Decrease in libido
- A decrease in muscle mass
- Fibro Fog/ Forgetfulness
- Heart problems
- High levels of LDL (the “bad”) cholesterol
- Insulin resistance
- Lower tolerance to exercise
- Muscle weakness
- Lack of memory
- Laborious time concentrating
- Thin, dry skin
- Elevated triglyceride levels
- Fibro Fog/ Forgetfulness
GROWTH HORMONE SUPPLEMENTS
If you are Growth Hormone deficient then Growth Hormone prescription medication is available.
Synthetic human growth hormone was developed in 1985 and approved by the FDA for specific uses in children and adults.
In children, Hormone Growth injections may be medically prescribed for treating short stature from medical causes.
Adults may be given a Growth Hormone prescription under certain medical conditions, such as;
- Pituitary tumors
- Pituitary Insufficiency
- Short Bowel Syndrome
- Diseases Associated With Muscle-Wasting eg. HIV/AIDS
GROWTH HORMONE SUPPORT
The MAGIC Foundation is the global leader in endocrine health, advocacy, education, support, and events.
GROWTH HORMONE COSTS
How Much Does Human Growth Hormone Cost?
The average cost of Human Growth Hormone for individuals who do not have prescription health insurance can range anywhere from $500 on a monthly basis to over $7,000 a month for daily injections.
The cost of the HGH depends on the amount of Human Growth Hormone that you need and the brand you need.
You need to keep in mind that different brands of HGH may be recommended depending on the medical condition and the overall treatment goals.
A full dose of Human Growth Hormone may be needed to treat adult patients with AIDS- or HIV-related muscle wasting.
If you have prescription coverage, then your out-of-pocket cost co-pays for Human Growth Hormone may range between $300 and $700 a month.
If you have Growth Hormone deficiency and the lack the fund to acquire HGH medication, then you should contact the manufacturer of your chosen Growth Hormone and ask if they offer any financial help.
GROWTH HORMONE BRIDGE PROGRAM
The following growth hormone manufacturer bridge programs may be able to assistant you:
- Nutropin GPS™ (Growing Patient Support) offers patients assistance through every step of Human Growth Hormone treatment from a dedicated case manager. Following the decision to prescribe growth hormone therapy, GPS services include device and injection training, insurance process management, a nurse hotline, and ongoing patient access and support programs. Call 1‐866‐NUTROPIN (1‐866‐688‐7674) to get started.
- THE PFIZER BRIDGE PROGRAM® When your doctor prescribes GENOTROPIN, the Pfizer Bridge Program® is there to support you and your family. Their support program provides you with a dedicated Patient Care Consultant (PCC).
- Norditropin Believes that everyone who has a medication prescription for growth hormone therapy should have access to it. They have developed several programs that may help you.
- Saizen Patient Assistance Program Help for eligible patients who demonstrate financial need. Individuals eligible for Patient Assistance Program may receive free medication. The offer is valid for one year from date of enrollment and renewed on an annual basis for income-eligible patients until program expiration or when insurance coverage is obtained.
I hope this web page, WHAT IS GROWTH HORMONE is helpful to you.
Please, Like, HypoGal on Facebook.
Click on HypoGal Blog to find shortcuts to living with a chronic illness.