Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) Approval Rate
A majority of people that apply for Social Security Disability Insurance are denied.
Unlike, most private disability insurance policies the Social Security Administration has a strict definition of disability:
You must not be able to engage in any substantial gainful activity (SGA) because of a medically-determinable physical or mental impairment(s):
- That is expected to result in death, or
- That has lasted or is expected to last for a continuous period of at least 12 months.
Of 100 Social Security Disability Insurance applications approximately 70 of the SSDI applicants are denied on their first application.
Many S.S.D.I. claims are denied because the application was not completed correctly.
The application maze for Social Security Disability Insurance SSDI can make applicants feel overwhelmed, confused and frustrated. It may be in your best interest to hire a disability attorney.
If you chose to hire a disability lawyer you need to be aware of the law that attorney’s must follow:
- It is against the law for a Social Security lawyer to collect an upfront fee from you
- A lawyer may only collect a small fee for postage and to obtain copies of your medical records
- Your Social Security attorney fee may not exceed $6,000 or 25% of your backpay, whichever is less
- Even if your case goes on for years your attorney will not receive payment unless you win
If you have had a positive experience with a disability attorney then please give me a shout out- Lisa@HypoGal.com
You can read about my experience with Disability Insurance and Disability Lawyers on #1 Amazon Ranked book on Disability Insurance, HypoGal and Disability Benefits.
You may also find the following Disability Insurance information helpful:
You can find additional shortcuts to living with a chronic illness on the HypoGal Blog.
If you enter your email address on the bottom of this page you can receive HypoGal’s updates. It’s Free!